The main topics of scientific work at the Chemistry Department are:
- physical and chemical hydrodynamics in liquid-liquid two-phase systems; methods of mathematical statistics in evaluation of dispersion drops' size; methods of calculation of energy-saving static apparatus;
- polymer compositions for industrial and civil constructions (adhesives, sealants, water isolation materials;
- bitumen and polymer compositions for modification of asphalt and cement pavements, apparatus for diagnosis of their physical and chemical data;
- development of scientific and methodological bases for using chromium and nickel steels and corrosion inhibitors for improvement of reliability of water supply and heating supply systems of Ukraine;
- development of corrosion inhibitors for heat exchange systems;
- use of rare-earth elements for improvement of the corrosion stability of welding joints;
- theory of solutions and water structure: termodynamics of inorganic ion solvation and intercalation compounds; termodynamics of complexation of ions with organic ligands.
The results of the research of the chemistry Department are covered by patents of Ukraine and Russian Federation (Associate Professor Voliuvach S. V. has more than 60 inventions, Associate Professor Nesterenko S. V. has 15 inventions, five of which are implemented into industry; head of laboratory Beztsinnyi O. O has two inventions) and published in scientific articles and represented at national and international scientific conferences.
The Department supports scientific communications with chemical faculty of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, State Scientific Institution “Institute for Single Crystals” of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Ukrainian state research institute of carbochemistry "UKHIN", National Technical University "Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute" NTU "KhPI", National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute", the main educational and methodical center "Gosgorpromnadzor" of Ukraine (carrying out of the training of experts in technical supervision of chemical industry).